Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ah distractions....

The evolution of language is a unique process. Before the internet or television, phrases were past along through written vernacular in stories or by word or mouth. Some phrases I've noticed are regional. I have a dear friend who lives in the northeast around the Great Lakes. She liked to have 'pop' with her lunch. Hum, here in the south, pop is something you get when you have sassed an adult. We do drink by brand. "I'd like a Coke, please." or "You want Pepsi?" We don't even go far enough to say soda. I'm beginning to wonder if southerns are snobs.

One of my mother's favorite things was to "not momic up" items. I was always reprimanded for carrying the cat around. "Put that animal down and don't momic it up. Poor thing will never learn to walk." Yes, I did love to carry that little kitten around. Thinking about this brought other words to mind such as a tail coat rider - a person who uses another person's hard political work and rides it into office with inflammatory speeches. Mudraker or a mudwhomp - a political party who stirs up a candidate or parties unflattering past during an election.

What brought all this rebel rousing and wool gathering to this blog? The use of a phrase in my current work in progress. I used the words, "suited him to a T." and thought my that looks modern. How far it is from the truth.

"Suit to a T" or just "to a T" was used in 1693 in a work by James Wright called Humors and Conversations, again coming from word of mouth. Looking further we can go back to the year 1548, in Edward Hall's Chronicles where to "suit to a T" meant suit to a title or beyond measure of doubt. Which when we use it makes more sense. If the woman suited him to a T, she suited him beyond a measure of a doubt.

Sigh ok now that's cleared up... no more procrastination. I have to write

No comments:

Post a Comment