Sunday, September 11, 2011

We did not stand alone

We did not stand alone. It took one hundred and two minutes to change our world, but we did not stand alone. Out of the clear, blue sky, the danger came in the form of air borne missiles. At the helm, delegates from Hades bent on one mission and one alone - hate. Yet, we did not stand alone. Through the smoke and flames, threatening to choke the air from our lungs, I looked up. A hand reached out and grasped mine and I saw their faces emerge. Battle scared and weary, the smiled down upon me and lifted my heart, these men who stood on the bridge in Concord.

I was afraid. Out of the mist came a voice, which whispered, 'Remember, I am with you'. I shouldered my responsibility. I knew that destiny placed upon my shoulders, the mantle of hero and I wondered why. Below me, the anguish cries of friends rose, but I was not alone. I gave a call to those dear and told them not to be afraid. My love would encompass them and nestled within their hearts forever. But, I was not alone.

I stepped up. Arms reached out to help. Brothers who once fought against each other in that place called Gettysburg helped me to carry the burden. Behind me, others followed. I looked back and saw the calm in each of their faces as we moved in a great procession toward that beautiful white light. But they did not come alone for out of the mist arose others. Each of us accompanied by companions - a valiant honor guard made up of sailors from the Maine, men who marched up San Juan Hill, those of the Rainbow Division, and soldiers whose boots once graced the shores of France, in order to stop the Tyranny of aggression. We were not alone.

There was a collective gasp as the towers fell. We watched in silent horror as flames engulfed a part of the Pentagon and our numbers grew, each one accompanied by those who gave the last full measure in places like Korea and Vietnam. We were not alone.

Someone behind me gave a shout and we cheered as the brave Americans took control above Shanksville with a shout, "Let's Roll". They joined us too. All around the faces of America, in all colors, young, old, military, and first responders, so many gone to soon for no other reason than hate.

Though ten years has gone, our legacy lives on. Our nation's hope renewed not by malice, but in quiet strength of hope, of love, and the ability to believe in a better tomorrow for mankind. We were not alone and neither are you, for the dream still lives. Our souls are always with you, for we live in your hearts. With each new generation, our spirits are reborn. Let us not forget. Let us always remember, but let us rise above. One hundred and two minutes changed our lives, our history, forever. Let us remember that a hero is but an ordinary man, who rises above in extraordinary circumstance.

America has more than three thousand heroes whose lights shine above us. So many more who survived and quietly carry on the savor of each new day making a quiet victory because we know, we are not alone.


God Bless the heroes of 9/11 and their families. Please know that on this day and everyday for the rest of your lives that, you are not alone.

5 comments:

  1. Great blog post. I'll never forget where I was on that fateful day, watching TV while waiting to take my kids to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tribute, Nancy. We'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Tessa...brought back many of the feelings I had that day. America will never forget! That day was our generation's Pearl Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for commenting. Tara, you said just what my mother said that day. At 82, she stood before the television watching the events and took my hand. "It's like Pearl all over again," she said. "Only worse cause you see it. We only had to read it days after it happened." She was so right. We won't forget where we were the moment we heard or saw.

    ReplyDelete