Thursday, February 2, 2012

Meet Jenna Jaxon, Multipublished romance author...

Do you like your historical or contemporary romance a bit on the hot side? If you do, you'll enjoy meeting author Jenna Jaxon.

“Like A Virgin”

First, I’d like to say thank you to Tessa for hosting me on your site today. I truly appreciate the opportunity to talk about a rather interesting topic that came up in my recent release, Almost Perfect. Deflowering Virgins.

The subject is quite prevalent in most historical romances, due to the fact that until the past century, virginity in women was a pre-requisite for marriage in the upper classes of society. Many novels set in the centuries previous to the 20th use storylines that revolve around the all-important deflowering of the bride.

I believe readers are most interested in this moment in a woman’s life because a) we want to compare it to our own and b) we wish to vicariously experience that moment again sans the physical pain and with a man/hero who is the perfect lover. That might not have been our own experience in real life (I remember a lot of laughter--not the stuff of a romance novel for sure!), so the perfect deflowering on the page is a popular trope in romance.

But what happens when the hero is the virgin? This trope is surprisingly popular today. There have been many heroes who have endeared themselves to readers with their virginity: Goodreads lists 114 romance novels featuring virgin heroes. Some of the most beloved are Jamie Fraser of Outlander, Edward Cullen of Twilight, Michael of Wild at Heart, Francis, Lord Middlethorpe of Forbidden. These men are strong heroes who have, for whatever reason, refrained from physical love until they meet the one woman they want to share themselves with. This is such a hot concept for me! The problem of inexperience isn’t much addressed--they all seem to do what comes naturally. And do it well!

Fast forward to my hero and heroine in Almost Perfect. As it is revealed during their encounter, they were both virgins when they met and were each others’ first--years before the book opens. But their “deflowerings” were apparently less than perfect. And their inexperience is one of the reasons they are divorced when the book opens. That, however, is about to change. Take a look at this excerpt from Almost Perfect, when Roger reveals that he’s been “taking lessons.”





Excerpt from Almost Perfect:

“Well.” He sounded breathy, as though he’d just run a race. “Happy Birthday.”
“Wha…what the hell was that?” Her voice was low like his, her breathing as erratic.
“Just a kiss.” He grabbed his champagne and downed it.
“You never kissed me like that when we were married.” If he had, would they even be there?
“I guess I’ve learned a few things in the time we’ve been apart. And how much could you have expected anyway? We were both virgins when we met.”
She winced. “Don’t remind me! The techno-geek and the movie queen. Positively the worst case of dual deflowering in history. Talk about the blind leading the blind.”
“Well, I’m not blind anymore.” He set his glass on the table. “In fact, I’ve seen some extraordinary things….” His hand cupped her head again and she sat mesmerized as he drew her near. This time his tongue licked the outer rim of her ear, sending strings of chills along her arms. “You used to like this, I remember.”
“Roger.…” She needed to get out of there—because she wanted to stay so badly.
His tongue continued around her lobe, his breath tickling her neck as his head descended to the collar of her shirt. She gasped as the cloth fell open. When had he learned to unbutton buttons so fast? He followed an exquisitely torturous trail down to her nipple, peaked and ready for him. As he latched onto the sensitive tip and tugged with his teeth, the crotch of her shorts flooded with her desire.
She moaned and shook her head. “We shouldn’t do this. You want your perfect fantasy date.” He continued to tease and torment the crest, until her breath came in gasps.
“Tonight I’ll take almost perfect, Pam.” His finger traced a line down her stomach, making the muscles tremble. “Besides, don’t you want to see what I’ve learned?” The deep voice held a challenge she wanted to accept. Even if this was punishment for past sins, she didn’t care. It had been more than two years since she’d made love to a man, made love to this man. If his lovemaking had improved as much as the rest of him, she didn’t want to miss it.
“Yes.” The word came out as a husky whisper. Her shirt fell away and his tongue stroked from one breast to the other, flicking each peak, sending sparks down to her fingertips. She ground her bottom into the chair, needing more, needing it now. He smiled against her skin and one hand slid to the button on her shorts, the other down her backside to cup her butt. With a liquid movement, he peeled the garment off her like the skin from an orange. The panties disappeared, too, tossed aside in the heap of clothing, leaving her bare ass on the soft chair cushion.

Have you ever had a virgin--character, that is? Or loved one in a novel? Do you prefer your hero/heroine more experienced? One lucky commenter will win a copy of Almost Perfect.



Get to know Jenna,

Jenna Jaxon is a multi-published author of historical and contemporary romance who has been reading and writing historical romance since she was a teenager. A romantic herself, Jenna has always loved a dark side to the genre, a twist, suspense, a surprise. She tries to incorporate all of these elements into her own writing.

Jenna lives in Virginia with her family and a small menagerie of pets. When not reading or writing, she indulges her passion for the theatre, working with local theatres as a director. She often feels she is directing her characters on their own private stage.

She has equated her writing to an addiction to chocolate because once she starts she just can’t stop.

To find other books by Jenna, please check out these sites.

http://www.decadentpublishing. com/product_info.php?cPath=75_ 105&products_id=416&osCsid= au9026jg4gg7ejdss6h5rbo035

http://www.allromanceebooks. com/product-almostperfect- 653805-144.html

http://www.amazon.com/Almost- Perfect-Night-Stand-ebook/dp/ B006JE4WS2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8& qid=1327972072&sr=8-3

Remember make a comment, registrar to win a copy of her latest novel.

32 comments:

  1. I love it when the man is also a virgin and you just don't see it in print that often. I actually have one virgin Hero.

    I love this story. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Casea. :) I have a virgin hero in my Scandal series (no, definitely NOT Duncan, LOL). He's a couple of books down the road. Can't wait to write him, though, because the dynamic and motivation will be so different. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Jenna! No need to enter me as I already own Almost Perfect.

    Some of my characters (male and female) are virgins and others aren't. I like to mix it up. I try to make their first time special, but due to other story circumstances, it isn't always, just like in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true, Jessica. First times are chancey, but hopefully special in some way. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome Casea and Jessica, So glad to have you here to day to welcome Jenna. I agree I think its quite a turn for the man to have held himself back for marriage or should I say the right woman. Have to wonder what his pals would have thought. Yes, it would make a twist on a novel. Good to meet both of you..

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tessa! Thank you so much for hosting me today. I'm so excited to be here. I've wondered how a man's friends would take to the knowledge that he was a virgin. Or would he even tell them? I'd think he'd be afraid of being teased (or pitied!).

      Delete
  4. Hey Jenna,

    In Black Dorn my heroine is such a virgin she barely knew that sex even existed!

    Awesome excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Daryl. That is a sheltered life. Though in some historical periods many girls knew less than nothing about reproduction. Makes for a startling wedding night I bet! Can't wait to read Black Dorn! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. Terrific post, Jenna! (Good job getting this fantastic guest, Tessa!) Yes, I've written virgin heroines, but no, I haven't written virgin heroes. So far, they haven't fit in my universes. There's always then next one...or the next...or... ad infinitum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what you'd do with a virgin hero, Patricia! That would be a best seller for sure. :) Thanks so much for stopping by today.

      Delete
  6. LOL Patricia, we do try and find the most interesting guest. What a great discussion she's sparked. I think we've all written the virginal heroines, and I admit this is a spark here.. Alpha male but had yet to give in to the pleasures of the bed.. Can you imagine that Regency OY.. I love that he learned sooooo quickly to remove her clothing! Jenna great excerpt if I haven't told you.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tess. This was such a fun couple to write I really must see if I can do a sequel for them. :)

      Delete
  7. Great post but I'll be honest, the one book that I read where the hero might have been a virgin was Rick Marquez from True Blue by Diana Palmer. I love your Long, Tall Texans series and this book was a long time coming.

    Marika Weber
    maw1725@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I already own Almost Perfect so no need to enter me.
    LOL, virginity is overrated. My first time was...weird and all fumbly--not romance deflowering worthy that's for sure.

    Super post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Brenda! Sounds like a story in there somewhere! :) As I said, mine too was probably stranger than fiction. And certainly not as hot as most deflowerings are depicted, though the guy was beyond my wildest dreams. There's a story there too. LOL

      Delete
  9. Fantastic interview, ladies! Love Jenna's books and can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Good luck in the contest! :) Hope you do enjoy it when you get to read it.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love virgin heroes. I have a couple of books starring them, and boy, did I have fun writing the stories!!

    Congrats on your release! Great interview.

    Sorry...typo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Stacey. Now I'm even more excited about writing my virgin hero. Can't wait! Must write faster! LOL

      Delete
  12. Great post--and excerpt! I've read a few books that have virgin heroes. They do seem to be gaining popularity! Women don't always want to read about the rake or womanizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Lisa. Women are starting to want some variety in their heroes, as long as they still have the endearing "hero qualities." Women often like men to be vulnerable and what's more vulnerable than a man willing to admit he has no experience in the bedroom? Man, I want to start that book more with each post I write! LOL Thanks for coming by, Lisa!

      Delete
  13. Love, love, love virgin heros. One of my all-time faves is by Monica Burns. The hero has a deformity (one testicle) and he doesn't want to become the laughingstock of the ton, so he hires an aging couretsan to defower him and ends up in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the name of the book? That sounds like a great read! Thanks for coming by, D'Ann. (Love the new spelling of your name! LOL)

      Delete
    2. I believe it's Pleasure Me. I stink at remembering titles, even those of my fave books. You should read it, Jenna. It's excellent.

      Delete
  14. Oh, so much fun. I write Regencies,and so far, all my heroines have been virgins and my heros well versed in pleasuring a woman. But they are also in their late 20's and early 30's.

    I'll have to see what happens in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Ella. My historical heroes have been well versed as well, and my heroines virgins, although not all have waited for marriage! Another topic for another day. :)

      Delete
  15. Wow Jenna, such great comments. I can bet you are over there making notes on a new adventure. I love the insights you ladies are putting up here today.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tessa, I am scribbling possible plots even as I write! So many ideas, so little time! :) I had hoped this would be a hot topic and I'm so glad it has been. Who knows what the evening will bring. LOL

      Delete
  16. Well...you certainly don't see THAT happen much. And when it does, if it's written well...I like it. Otherwise, I'm kinda torn. I really prefer the bad boy alpha hero. And, well...er, he wouldn't usually be a bad boy and a virgin too...if you know what I mean. ;) I know it's sexist of me, but I'm more ok with the heroine being the virgin. Sorry...but, that's the way my crazy brain works. LOL!

    barbbattaglia@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a fantastic day. Jenna, I enjoyed myself meeting your friends and talking story lines. I'm use its opened a host of possibilities. There is time left for a few more comments. Good luck to those of you entered to win a copy of Jenna's book. I can't wait to see who wins.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete