Friday, August 17, 2012

Come meet D'Ann Lindum, Crimson Author



Falling in love with romance novels the summer before sixth grade, D’Ann Lindun never thought about writing one until many years later when she took a how-to class at her local college. She was hooked! She began writing and never looked back. Romance appeals to her because there's just something so satisfying about writing a book guaranteed to have a happy ending.
D’Ann’s particular favorites usually feature cowboys and the women who love them. This is probably because she draws inspiration from the area where she lives, Western Colorado, her husband of twenty-nine years and their daughter. Composites of their small farm, herd of horses, five Australian shepherds, a Queensland heeler, eight ducks and cats of every shape and color often show up in her stories!
Let's meet D'Ann Lindum

When I was in the Seventh grade, I had a huge crush
on a boy named Randy. He was dark-haired with honey-brown eyes. He wore Levis
and glasses and he showed sheep in 4-H. And, sigh, he read Louis L’Amour novels. I wanted him to notice me, so I went to the library and checked out a few of those books to read when he was nearby.
All thought of impressing my crush by reading Louis L’Amour fell away as I lost myself in those westerns. I could identify with the heroines in Mr. L’Amour’s books because I have always
ridden horses, live in the west and can shoot a rifle. But those heroines didn’t have enough storylines, in my opinion. Years later, after I began writing romance, I always
wanted to write my own version of a Louis L’Amour book. The closest I’ve come is my new release, Shot Through the Heart.
It’s not a historical, and the hero, nor heroine, shoot anyone. But they do ride in the mountains chasing a bad guy. The hero is willing to shoot to protect the woman he loves. If that’s not a Louis L’Amour moment, I don’t know what is.

Excerpt:
Derrick’s gut twisted into a tight knot of rage. Who was Lawrence Porter to put this woman
through hell? When Derrick got hold of him, he would wring his scrawny neck. He yanked the front door open so hard it slammed against the wall. “Come out, Porter. Show yourself.”
Silence greeted him.
At his knee, Turbo whined.
“Come on, you bastard!” Derrick moved out of the doorway and looked around, but nothing moved. The barn stood like a silent sentinel, the outbuildings like foot soldiers. Turbo growled. Whoever was out there still lurked. “Stay,” he told the dog.
Lifting the pistol, Derrick stepped outside. He slipped alongside the house, searching the
dark for Lawrence.
Above his head, the yard light exploded.
Derrick hit the dirt and belly crawled toward the lilac bushes edging the walk. He rolled under the branches and shouted, “Come out, Porter. Stand up against a man, not a woman.”
A blast at Derrick’s feet threw dirt over his legs. Damn. Another inch closer and the bullet would’ve hit him. Lawrence meant business. Desperate to see the other man, Derrick searched the dark, but he couldn’t see anything but shadows.
A breeze stirred the pine trees, and something moved among them. He lifted the pistol, but
couldn’t get a clear view. Unwilling to shoot into the dark and hit something he didn’t mean to, Derrick didn’t fire. For what seemed ages, he lay still. Sweat trickled down his brow and his back as he waited. He prayed Laramie didn’t come looking for him.
In the distance, he heard an engine roar to life, then a vehicle drive away.
He jumped to his feet and ran inside.
Laramie met him, her face pale and eyes wide. She was dressed again. “I heard gunshots. Are you all right?”
He took her in his arms and smoothed a hand down her back. “Hey, there, it’s okay. I’m fine. Lawrence shot at me, but missed.”

Blurb:

When Laramie Porter’s sister-in-law Julie is beaten so badly by her husband she miscarries her baby, Laramie takes her home from the hospital. But just a few minutes after the women arrive home, Julie’s husband, who also happens to be a drug addict and the local police sheriff, shows up at the house on a murderous rampage.
He kills Julie and attempts to murder Laramie. When he doesn’t succeed, he hauls them into the mountains and throws them off a cliff. Julie’s body lands in a pond, but Laramie hits a ledge, where she perches, terrified.
Derrick Garrison is in the mountains moving his cattle when his dog finds Julie’s body in the pond. Creeped out, Derrick at first doesn’t believe his ears when he hears a girl crying for help. But he finds Laramie and pulls her to safety. Before she can tell him anything, a lightning strike starts a forest fire and they flee to a hidden valley.
To find out more about D'Ann or her fabulous books, please check these links


32 comments:

  1. Wow, D'Ann, Shot Through the Heart sounds like one action packed read. My heart was pounding reading the excerpt!

    Sounds like a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Sharon. D'Ann really had a lot of action going. I really think it is a must read. I think her cover is eye catching too.
    Thanks for stopping by,

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me here today, Tessa!

      Delete
  3. I loved Shot Through the Heart - such a fun good. And, yes, action packed. D'Ann allowed me to read an ARC and...wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi! I love this book, if I do say so!

      Delete
  4. I love SHOT THROUGH THE HEART, too, and I love Louis L'Amour, though I only found out who he was after seeing Sam and Tom--you know, Elliot and Selleck--in his movies!

    Good interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz~
      Sam and Tom. Sigh. Is there anything better than sliced bread?

      Delete
  5. Oooo I can't wait to read this one, D'Ann! Sounds like it's going to be awesome like the others I've read. Congrats on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I think you will like it.

      Delete
  6. Shot Through the Heart sounds like a fantastic read! Gotta put that on my quickly growing TBR list. I went through a Louis L'Amour period. Loved his books. What ever happened to you and Randy? LOL And congrats on your release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! I moved away, but have never forgoten old Randy. LOL

      Delete
  7. I was gifted with an ARC of Shot Through The Heart and it is awesome!! I grew up reading Louis L'Amour books (my dad read them)! Congrats on the upcoming release, D'Ann!! I know readers are going to love this one as much as your other books!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad loved Louis L'Amour, so whenever I see one of his books, makes me think of my dad. Good interview, D!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that cover D'Ann, it's one of my favorites! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview, D'Ann. I didn't real a Louis L'Amour until I was an adult, but I grew up on Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickok and Annie Oakley on TV. I'm still a huge western fan, as you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute little story! I had no idea a college class sparked your writing career. Another awesome book to put on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yup. Margot Early taught a class, I took it, was lost for good.

      Delete
  12. I agree on the cover, I like how he's twisted in his saddle looking back at the camera. Your hero sounds alluring and I like the whole set up for the story. Adding to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything about this story has me itching to turn the first page. From the cowboy on the cover to the excerpt and blurb. This is a must read for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheri. That's really nice of you to say.

      Delete
  14. LOL. The things we do to impress boys. Great story D'Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! LOL Oh, yes, impressing boys. Very important when you're 13.

      Delete
  15. I so can't wait to read this story!!!! I loved it when I read the first chapter way back when.... Congrats, D'Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for having me here today, Tessa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. D'ann thanks for coming by. I am always so thrilled to see new books. This one is going on my TBR pile for sure. Thanks to all who came and made a comment. You all rock.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete