Saturday, November 17, 2012

Welcome to the Winter Wonderland Blog Hop

Welcome to the Winter Wonderland Blog Hop.

Today, all you have to do is read my little taste of Christmas out on the Glory B Ranch and leave a comment. If your comment is the top winner, you'll get a $100 dollar gift card for either Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Second and Third place winners get a $50 dollar card all from Crimson Romance Authors listed on the blog. Be sure to check everyone's post and have a great time. Enjoy the holidays and dive into some fantastic books.

A Glory B Christmas

A cold wind shook the panes of glass in the living room. Instinctively, Glory Beebe Hargrove pulled the quilted bits of calico tighter around her body. She loved the holidays, always had. For as long as she could remember the time from Thanksgiving to Christmas and on to New Years held a magic all its own. Even now, the house seemed filled with the smells of the warm chocolate chip cookies, roasted turkey and its trimmings, plus the promise of Alma's secret holiday cake that was squirreled away in a rustic old tin with a sleigh scene from Currier and Ives. Everything, in one word, was perfect. She glanced down at the sparkling diamond and band of gold and thought about the man she married. Travis had proven beyond measure as a husband and partner in their business of raising bulls for the rodeo.

Across the room, the tiny white lights, embedded in the branches of the evergreen, blinked merrily. This year, there was so much more joy in the walls of the little ranch house that it threatened to burst. Grave Digger had done them proud on the rodeo circuit. In fact, Jon Parker had called the other day and offered them a contract on two more bulls from their herd. Travis and Mickey were in cahoots talking up another bull riding clinic. Of course, she was pretending to be hard to get about it. A grin tickled her cheeks causing her dimples to show. Yes, the make-up loving and coaxing on Travis' part was so much fun she was going to hate to give in. Yes, everything seemed to be falling together so nicely. She let out a deep breath and hoped what she planned to tell Travis tomorrow wouldn't rock the apple cart.

Tossing off the blanket, Glory moved to the tree and lay down on her back so that she could stare up into the branches and watch the lights flicker across the years of ornaments while the radio in the kitchen softly serenaded her with a host of carols.

"Glory?" Travis sleepy voice drew her eyes to the doorway. His footsteps were so soft she hadn't heard him come down. Hair mussed, a hint of shadow from his beard gracing his cheek brought a quickening of her heartbeat.

"Down here." He yawned and glanced down at her. "What 'cha doin' on the floor?"

"Wishing," she murmured.

The roguish grin that touched his face was one of his best endearing qualities. Her heart turned over as she held his heated glance for a second. Reaching out, she patted the rug beside her. "Come on down."

Travis raked his hand through his disheveled hair and moved to the spot. She heard him grunt as he got down and wiggled beneath the branches. "Is this some sort of Beebe ritual?"

Glory giggled. "Yeah. Ever since I could look over the counter and help Alma roll out those cookies, I've spent Christmas Eve up till midnight laying here, making wishes."

"All right, what do I do?" "Shh. Christmas wishes are the most special of all. They only work in silence when your heart is free of worry. Let your mind go. Watch the lights blink and listen to the words in the music. You'll know when to wish, because your heart will tell you."

"Gotcha."

They grew silent. The sounds of the carols drifted in over their soft breaths. Her eyes were drawn up the tree toward one glass ornament, that of the Virgin Mary holding the Christ child. As she stared, Travis' hand encircled her fingers. Her heart filled with such unconditional love that a knot formed in her throat and a single tear of happiness ran toward her hairline. She didn't think she could love a man as much as she did Travis. It seemed like only yesterday she was standing outside of the Tomahawk Motel, honking the horn, and screaming out her love for him while the cars on the road came to a stop. He had proposed, right then and there to the applause and shouts of half the town of Palmer. In the distance, the clock in the dining room began to chime twelve. Glory closed her eyes and knew exactly what to ask for.

"Hey now," Travis whispered. "No crying on Christmas morning."

Glory heard him scramble out from under the tree and opened her eyes. His outstretched hand beckoned to her. "Come here, darlin'."

Scooting out, she let Travis help her up. His warm arms curled protectively around her body. Her head upon his chest, she listened to the beat of his heart. "I love you, Travis." Her arms went around his chest and held him tight. "I love you so much, sometimes it just hurts."

"Glory? Glory, honey, you're spooking me. Is everything all right?"

She sniffed and nodded.

His hands stroked her back as he spoke. "I know there's been a lot of changes. Things are going to get better. Mickey and I, well we've just gotta do that bull riding clinic this spring. Parker's counting on us." "I know. I just won't be able to help as much."

His hands stilled and she pushed away to turn toward the tree. "I've something for you."

"Can't it wait?"

She shook her head. "I thought maybe it could, but not now." Kneeling, she searched through the brightly colored packages for something in particular. "Besides, the clock has struck. It's Christmas." Her smile broadened as she saw it. Extending her arm, she looped her fingers through the brightly tied ribbon and pulled it free. Rising, she held it tenderly in the palm of both of her hands. "Merry Christmas, Travis."

He stood and looked at her. His face twisted in confusion as he looked at the carefully wrapped gift.

"I want you to know that I gave you my heart that night in front of the Tomahawk and you've always been there to protect me. Now, I'm doing the same for you."

"Protect me?" He shook his head. "I don't get it."

"You will. Open it."

He wore a mask of bewilderment as he pulled loose the bow and peeled away the edges of the paper to expose a small rectangular white box. "I guess it's too small to hold that new Stetson I've been wanting."

"It is."

"Belt buckle?"

"Nope."

"Spurs?"

"Not a chance."

He sighed and she watched his skillful hands lift the top away. On bated breath she watched as the tissue paper crackled, then was brushed aside. His glance ricocheted to her face. "Glory?" Then he looked back down, his eyes widening.

"There are two."

"Yes, I don't know which one," she said.

Blinking back tears, he slid his hand inside and brought out one tiny pink bootie and another in blue. "Are you telling me what I think you're telling me?"

She nodded. "The doctor said early in the summer. I know we said we'd wait. " She lifted her shoulders. "I guess the good Lord saw fit to change our plans."

"You're all right, aren't you? I mean your momma..."

"I'm fine." She put a hand on his arm. "Well, if you skip what the smell of bacon does to me in the morning."

His arms found her and drew her close. "Forget the Stetson, the buckle, and the spurs. I love you, Glory. I'm so glad you're my wife." He kissed her slow and sensually making her toes dig into the carpet so she wouldn't fall down. When it ended, he scooped her up in his arms and headed toward the stairway.

"Don't you want to open the rest of your gifts?"

Travis shook his head. "What you just gave me will last a life time and I'm gonna thank you good and proper, Mrs. Hargrove because this trumps any gold belt buckle."

To read about Glory and Travis' love affair, purchase your copy of Eight Seconds to Glory at either Amazon or Barnes and Noble with the links below.

http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Seconds-to-Glory-ebook/dp/B008PW2WNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349625650&sr=1-1&keywords=eight+seconds+to+glory

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/eight-seconds-to-glory-tessa-berkley/1112418277?ean=9781440555893

http://ebooks.crimsonromance.com/product/eight-seconds-to-glory

This story comes in Nook versions, Kindle versions, and now in print through Amazon.

Thanks for reading and leave a comment! Happy Holidays from my house to yours.
1. http://sharonclare.com/blog1/crimson-wonderland-blog-hop
2. http://kwana.com/
3. http://lynncahoon.wordpress.com/blog/
4. http://tessaberkleyauthor.blogspot.com/
5. http://rtwolfe.com/
6. http://blog.erinrichards.com/
7. http://www.mjschiller.com/#!home/mainPage
8. http://terriponce.com/crimson-wonderland-blog-hop/
9. http://www.sylviefox.com/
10. http://www.ashlynmathews.com/

Look for the next ten authors coming soon. Don't forget to comment.

43 comments:

  1. Lovely story, Tessa. You gave me my first moment of Christmas spirit. Things won't be quite so quiet for Glory and Travis next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL no it won't be! But, I'm sure Glory will be teaching him or her how to dream.

      Tessa

      Delete
  2. Ok. Now I want to get this so I can read the rest of the story. Darn finances won't let me though so I need to win the big prizes so I can buy it. <^_^> Thanks for being part of the hop and for the chance to win. <^_^>
    reneebennett35 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there! You may be the lucky one!

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to travel back in time, Especially to the 1920′s.
    Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I want to read more. What a great Christmas gift.

    vampiremistress2010(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Happy Holidays.

      Tessa

      Delete
  5. I love blog hopping because it adds new books to my to read list!

    grapeapril75(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY! Your list will be as long as Santa's. Welcome to the blog and I hope to see you again.

      Tessa

      Delete
  6. Great to see all ya'll ladies today. Happy start to your holiday season. I'm glad ya'll enjoyed the story. I have your names and addies!

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the peek into your writing! I am so ready for the holidays this year :D
    bas1chsemail at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning,

      Oh aren't we all! Its always so much fun lots of friends and family and stores playing the holiday music. I just can't help singing along.

      Tessa.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the peek into your writing by sharing the excerpt :)

    BeckeyWhiteATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Becky,

      Thanks for the compliment. This little tale was written especially for the readers on the blog hop. I wanted to keep it in the mood of the season. Happy Holidays.

      Tessa

      Delete
  9. Sound good, thanks for the hop.
    magic5905 at embarqmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Joy. Thanks for stopping by. Good luck in the contest.

      Tessa

      Delete
  10. AWWWW...That was a great excerpt.
    Thanks for the hop!!

    kp_kazamei(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I'm glad you could come by. I hope you'll stop by later on. Have a happy holiday.


      Tessa

      Delete
  11. Lovely excerpt!

    JYL22075 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I hope you will enjoy the rest of the blog hop and good luck in the contest.


      Tessa

      Delete
  12. Thank you thank you -- love Christmas books and stories and based on that excerpt, yours will be no exception!! Can't wait to read it all!

    booksconsidered[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Eva,

    This is just a small short story for the blog hop. Eight Seconds to Glory is not a Christmas story. It's the story of how they met. I have a friend that has a great Christmas historical western called A Cordial Christmas. I think its only 99 cents on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I'm so glad you stopped in though. I hope you'll enjoy all the different reads and blogs Crimson has for you.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa Teresa! You knocked it out of the park with this short story. I choked up a bit when Glory told Travis she loved him so much it hurt then gave him the gift of twin babies. Awesome! I loved it! I am always a sucker for the HEA...or hint of it....and a Christmas story too..sweeeet! Sounds like this book is going on my TBR list. :-)

    Thanks for the opportunity to meet you and sharing the story!

    Belinda G
    belgre@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda,

      Its good to meet you too. I'm so glad you enjoyed that short story. I hope you'll come back from time to time to see what's happening. Good Luck with the contest!

      Tessa

      Delete
  15. What a great excerpt, what woman wouldn't get teary eyed over the reaction Travis had when he opened his christmas present. It made my heart melt.

    proudarmymom32(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe Sue,

      Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, I got teary-eyed myself. I'm such a push over. Good luck in the contest.

      Tessa

      Delete
  16. Very sweet and lovely excerpt!

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,

      I'm glad you liked it and stopped by. Please swing by again.

      Tessa

      Delete
  17. wonderful excerpt! I love getting books to add to my TBR! Make my Christmas list so much easier to put together!
    Mel
    bournmelissa at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I know. It's so much fun to find a new author and look forward to their new books. Ebooks seem to be making this a lot easier and much more enjoyable. Have a great holiday and thanks for coming by.

      Tessa

      Delete
  18. Sweet story!
    bituin76 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Jan,

    I appreciate you stopping by. Good luck with the Contest.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay!! Just stopping by on my way around the hop! This is so much fun!

    Rionna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know its been great. I love meeting all these new readers.

      Tessa

      Delete
  21. Love the sounds of Travis! I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be posting some more excerpts from Eight Seconds to Glory later this week. Have a great one.

      Tessa

      Delete
  22. Sounds great!

    Thanks for participating in the blog hop!

    bme722 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww that was such a sweet excerpt. Definitely will have to read the book now. I already really like Glory and Travis.

    Thanks for participating in the hop. Happy Thanksgiving early. :)

    imsocool(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa,

      I know, I wanted to kick Glory to the curb and take Travis all for my own.

      Tessa

      Delete
  24. Sounds like a good book. Glad I stopped by because now I have one more book to add to my list! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Michelle. I'm glad you stopped by.

      Tessa

      Delete