Monday, January 21, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog

Whoo hooo! Everyone is enjoying a blog hop during this cold snap. You can visit so many exotic places and get a host of stories to fill that e-reader while curled up on your couch as the snow flies.

I've been tagged by Karen Michelle Nutt from www.kmnbooks.com So come, sit down, and let me introduce you to my first book from The Wild Rose Press.

Question: What is the title of your book?

My debut novel for The Wild Rose Press is entitled Castillo's Fiery Texas Rose. It's set in Texas, (of course) and deals with the tensions between Mexico and the Lone Star state in the years just after the Civil War.

Question: Where did the idea come from for the book?

The idea for Castillo came from all those television westerns I watched as a child. Who didn't fall in love with those handsome heroes? While doing some research for a college paper some years back I came across some old photos of Texas just after Independence from Mexico. I got to thinking about all the ill will that must have prevailed. So my hero was born. A half Mexican, half Anglo who's family sunk their roots deep into the Texas soil and chose Tejas over Mexico. Of course his family disowned him. Of course, tension runs high but I won't give away the events just yet.

In keeping with my multicultural theme, I chose my heroine to be of Irish descent. She and her family came west to seek a new beginning after the war. She's a spunky lass and she and the hero Trace Castillo don't quite get along. ( Of course they don't, this is a romance after all) Will true love win out? Wink...
Question: What genre does your book fall under?

My book is a historical romance so it falls under the cactus rose line for The Wild Rose Press.

Question: What actors would you choose to play in the movie rendition?

Oh, this question has given me fits. So of you might remember Tim Matheson from the West Wing's first season. He began his career on westerns such as The Virginian and Bonanza. He could play Castillo. A more modern actor is Dominic Zamprogna who plays Donte on General Hospital.

My heroine, Mary Rose Thornton, could be played by Maureen O'Hare in her early years. I've always loved her feisty spunk. Now? I'd need a good redhead full of fire, I'm wondering if Kate Hudson could die her hair a bit to strawberry to play her or perhaps the young lady in Suburgatory, Jane Levy might do the role. I'd love to hear suggestions from readers, too, once the book is released to who they would pick.

Question: What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

Lone Survivor of a raid on a supply wagon run, Mary Rose Thornton seeks revenge against the men who murdered her brother, refusing the help of U.S. Marshal Trace Castillo, a lawman with a deep seeded sense of honor who is determined to keep her safe despite the odds.

Question: Where can we get your book?

When he book releases, you will be able to get it at Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and of course The Wild Rose Press. If you are with Amazon Select you may see it pop up early. The date for release has been set as May 24, 2013.

Question: How long did it take your to write the first draft of your manuscript?

The first draft took probably around three months to write. Then, I let it sit for about three weeks and went back in to try and tweak.

Question: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I would like to think my book would compare to The Devil's Own Desperado by Lynda Cox and The Treasure of Como Bluff by Alison Henderson.

Question: What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?

I think the mystery that Mary Rose and Trace have to uncover might be of interest to readers, a gold coin, a ledger with bank deposits that don't match might keep the reader wanting more. A real surprise comes when the reader finds out who is behind the attack on Thornton freight lines.

The next stop on the Next Biggest Thing Blog will be with the talented Tara Kingston on Monday, January 28th. Look for her post at http://tarakingston.com/

14 comments:

  1. Great interview and I love Tim Matheson. The book sounds very good! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah.
    It was quite fun to write and I hope the readers will enjoy it. Thank you for stopping by today.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great story, Tessa. Tim Matheson, great choice by description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Calisa!
    Oh, I know he's such a hunk. Thanks for stopping by. I'm so glad to see so many fellow roses today. I'm honored.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fantastic, read. I grew up watching westerns and I still love them. Love Tim Matheson, too. :) I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Karen, thank you for joining us today.
    That's one great thing about writing books, you can always add scenes or take parts of plots and twist them. I love seeing old ideas changed and reinvented in a western setting. So many ideas, so little time. Trace Castillo can easily look like Tim Matheson. If you check out the cover, my artist did a fantastic job of catching someone that resembles him.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice interview, ladies. The story is intriguing. I love anything to do with Texas. : )
    Congratulations, and wishing you much success, Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your upcoming release! May will be here before we know it!

    DebraStJohn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Interview. The story sounds great. Congrats on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debra!
    Oh, I know. I just keep telling myself not to wish my life away but savor this whole experience. I love being with The Wild Rose Press.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy Katherine,

    Thanks for coming by today. I hope folks enjoy the story. Thank you for the good wishes on the release.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tessa,
    Great interview. I just love Westerns, a throwback to my younger TV watching days. I devoured all the westerns that were on.

    Best wishes

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Margaret, sisters in the saddle. Yes, loved growing up with all those westerns. Thanks for stopping by.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tessa,
    Congrats on your upcoming release. Great interview. This story sounds great. Just like your other fabulous men... hmmhmm I meant stories your fabulous stories ;) Wishing you many sales!

    ReplyDelete