Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cowboy and Lawman Blog Hop

Welcome to Cowboy and Lawman Blog Hope.

My name is Tessa Berkley and yes, I admit it, I'm a sucker for a man in denim, boots, and spurs.

I suppose, it comes from growing up with great shows like Bonanza, The Virginian, and The High Chaparral. These shows create characters bigger than life, who dominated the small screen. You know their characteristics by the end of the first episode. You knew they were going to prevail and all the answer solved by the end of the show. You knew they were going to get the girl, even if it ended in just happiness for now. It's this private code of hero, I tapped into when creating my hero U. S. Marshall Trace Castillo in my book Castillo's Fiery Texas Rose. In fact, there is one line that sums up his motto nicely.

"The words from his pledge, “to protect the citizens of Texas,” cut straight to his heart, giving his own personal creed deeper strength. For no one shot a woman on his watch and got away with it. After all, he was born a Texan, he had chosen to be a marshal,but he was first and always a man."

Trace embodies the best of Matt Dillon and the sassy male macho-ism of Manolito Montoya. I hope you'll enjoy meeting Trace Castillo and his heroine Mary Rose Thornton in the snippet I've left below. Castillo's Fiery Texas Rose is out now with Amazon and on May 24th it becomes available at other retail markets.

From Castillo's Fiery Texas Rose...

“Don’t you dare tell me it’s not my right to work,” she hissed. “My brother may be dead, but I own that freight company. It is my blood, my sweat, my life!”
“Your life,” he scoffed. “Your death, Miss Thornton, if you keep up with this foolhardy attempt.”
She flashed him a look of disdain. “You pompous windbag.” Her nostrils flared and color crept into her cheeks. “Don’t you preach to me! I intend to honor my brother’s memory by making Thornton’s the best freight company in Texas.”
Her fire set his blood aflame. Any other woman would have run in the opposite direction. In defiance, she stepped closer, glaring up at him, the color of her eyes deepening from blue to deep indigo. In their depths a sparkling of fire leaped and could not go unchallenged. Unable to control his movements, Trace reached out and grasped her by the waist, his broad hands nearly spanning her middle.
“Oh, yes.” His words tumbled over his lips, deep, throaty, and laced with desire. “You’ll make a name for yourself. Every unmarried man, every scoundrel, and every hot blood in southwest Texas will turn up on your doorstep. They will watch the tilt of your head, the sway of your skirts, and try to catch the shimmer of fire in that fine head of hair.”
Beneath his stare, her eyes widened. Not from fear, but with understanding of what his words meant. He searched her face but didn’t hold back. “They won’t stop there,” he continued, pulling her toward him. “Not until they have a taste of heaven.”


Sigh, I can't tell you how thrilled I was when The Wild Rose Press allowed Trace to come to life!If you enjoy this snippet, please stop by my website and join my newsletter for information about up coming releases. To purchase a copy of Castillo, please use the link below...
http://www.amazon.com/Castillos-Fiery-Texas-Rose-ebook/dp/B00B5M48UU/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1_3TEE

Cowboy Charm Blog Hops now has a companion FaceBook Group. If you'd like to join to receive blog hop and prize announcements here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/453991144693516/

As you enjoy some awesome blogs and find fantastic books, remember for every post you comment on with your email address, you will be entered for some amazing prizes.

***PLEASE LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO QUALIFY***

Grand Prize: At least a $75 Gift Card for Amazon or Barnes and Noble, your choice. The winner will be chosen at random from comments containing email addresses, and will be announced on May 7. This is open to both US and international readers.

Here's a list of the blogs. Have a great time.




Yours,

Tessa

38 comments:

  1. I loved The Virginian as well!

    oncerfan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome OncerFan,

      I loved Trampas's wit and the Grangers. Such an instant family. Thanks for stopping by today and good luck with the contest.

      Delete
  2. Lawmen who are also cowboys are the ultimate alpha male. They are strong, independent, and fiercely protective; while on the inside they are nothing but big ol’ teddy bears! I love the way their mouths talk dirty, but their eyes show their vulnerability.

    Thanks for being part of the hop and for the chance to win. <^_^>
    reneebennett35 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Renee, I so agree.
      Thanks for taking interest in the blog hop. I hope you'll stop by again.

      Tessa

      Delete
  3. Great excerpt. Man, when one of the other gals asked about our favorite cowboy I forgot all about Little Joe and Adam! Never missed Bonanaza. Country Blessings Angela
    Angela(at)webname(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela,

    Oh my gosh, I had to laugh at forgetting Little Joe. I heard it said that's why color was invented so we could see his blue eyes. LOL. I'm so glad you came by! Thank you and come back again.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cowboys!
    sugerlady@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara,

      I do too! Thanks for stopping by.

      Tessa

      Delete
  6. I like cowbys. Thanks for participating

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bn 100

      Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll enjoy the trip around the loop.

      Tessa

      Delete
  7. Yep, there is nothing quite as delicious as a cowboy honoring that private code of hero! and Trace sounds like a rugged man with a way with words. enjoyed the snippet :) swoon!!

    thumbalina2323(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Tera.

      Trace is something. Waggling brows. Half Mexican/ half American, but certainly all Texas. Enjoy your ride around the hop

      Tessa

      Delete
  8. I was a fan of Trampas on the Virginian and I loved watching Festus on Gunsmoke too.
    Thanks for being part of this fun blog hop.
    skpetal at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Jean,
    Welcome. I'm so enjoying the blog hop too. So nice to meet so many who enjoy westerns and their hero's. Thanks for leaving your addy and good luck.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, the Code of the West! Gotta love it--and men in chaps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacquie,

      Yes, ever so sexy. Just reading your comment I could see him walking away stuffing his supple leather gloves into the waist band of those chaps riding across his hips.. Oh yeah.. gotta go write now. Thanks so much for stopping by. I know your life is busy.

      Tessa

      Delete
  11. Loved the introduction to your story.
    l.carrollbradd(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      Thank you. Yes, Trace and Mary Rose have that oil and water relationship in the beginning. But he does win her over. Good Luck on the hop.

      Tessa

      Delete
  12. Love the post! The cowboy code of honor is the best!

    kmnbooks at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Yes, they lived and died by the code that was never written down. Like Knights of old, only these men reigned over sagebrush and cactus. Thank you for coming by. Good luck.

      Tessa

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your new release. Great post and awesome excerpt. After reading it, you are definitely on my TBR.

    ~~Emmly Jane
    ej (at) emmly jane (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EmmlyJane,

      Thank you so much for the congrats and being placed on your TBR pile. I am honored. Good luck with the contest and thanks for joining in. I'm having such a great time meeting new friends. Love your name by the way.

      Tessa

      Delete
  14. I loved watching Little Joe on Bonanza. I really just loved all of the hot cowboys.
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry,

      Oh man, fanning, hot cowboys. Yes indeedie!!! I think the small screen really shaped our view of the quintessential cowboy. Square jawed, rugged, hint of steel in their eye when it wasn't looking at the ladies. Wink Wink.
      Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

      Tessa

      Delete
  15. All the best with your new release:)

    melissa@yuulong.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alissa,

      Thank you for your well wishes. I hope you enjoy the blog hop.
      Good luck in the contest.

      Tessa

      Delete
  16. So glad to "meet" you, Tessa, on this most wonderful blog hop tour. I'm always wanting another author of western stories (romance, suspense or action) to read from. And I, too, am a sucker for the cowboy in jeans, boots and a Stetson--who lives by the code of honor and protects the weaker and innocent. That simpler lifestyle appeals to me and I wish it were still true today. We have policemen, but the world we live in makes it doubly hard for them to do their work, provide justice and resist temptation. jdh2690@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up watching the old classics.....I think my dad secretly wanted to be a cowboy. Every weekend we would all the westerns from series to movies from morning to night. My mother and I would watch The Wild, Wild West every time it was on.

    cmucha319(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CBarton,

      Oh my gosh yes! Wasn't it awesome. We probably took out half the Native American tribes hiding behind the sofa and using our fingers. I always wondered why after ever so many years Wagon Train never made it to California. Had to be the longest trip. Thanks for coming by. Good luck in the contest and do stop by again.

      Tessa

      Delete
  18. Hi Janice,
    Oh you are a girl after my own heart. Love the romantic suspense and action in westerns. There was always something to solve. How were they gonna do it? Who will survive? You are so right about our fast pace world today. Thank you for coming by and good luck in the contest.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I grew up watching westerns. We all gathered around the TV on Friday nights for Bonanza.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ingeborg,

    Bonanza came on Sunday for us. But, yes it was a family event. Wasn't it great!


    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Growing up, i lived for the tv show, Little House on the Prairie! I loved it! And like you, I love cowboys! You forgot one thing in your list, assless chaps! Oh yeah! lol There just so...i dont know. But i do find them irresistible! Thank you! :)
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shadow,

      I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, my son was using the computer. I enjoyed Little House too. LOL well, chaps and cowboys go hand in hand. Good luck with the contest.

      Tessa

      Delete
  22. At our house when I was growing up we always watched all the cowboy Western tv shows like Maverick, Bonanza, Gunsmoke and Wagon Train to name a few. All of them produced some great actors and actresses. I love cowboys.
    JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie,

      Yes, you are so right about the actors of yesteryear. A friend and I were talking about how it was much more a craft back then vs now. Writing was more in depth, too. Loved the shows you mentioned. Thank you for coming by and leaving your comments. I hope you'll come back. Good luck in the contest.

      Tessa

      Delete
  23. There were so many good tv westerns when I was growing up but I especially liked The High Chaparrral and Maverick. Nowadays I watch Longmire which has some cowboys in it.
    JWIsley at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joye,

      Yes, it seems westerns have waned a bit. I keep hoping they will turn up again. Halmark has at least put some movies with contemporary and historical westerns on. I see the ads for them. Unfortunately, I don't have cable or satellite so I just watch "regular" TV when I can. How many of you remember McCloud or Heck Ramsey? Dennis Weaver was awesome in McCloud. Richard Boone was sort of an Anti hero in Heck Ramsey bring the old west new police procedure. I wonder what do you think today's writers might bring in a western.. A CSI via Texas Rangers? A doctor that worked with the Marshall to uncover the villains or perhaps something different?

      Good luck with the contest. I hope you will come back by.

      Tessa

      Delete