Monday, July 22, 2013

Notes on RWA 2013

Granted, this was only my second RWA adventure, but I was struck by how much more inclusive and comprehensive the conference appeared to be. RWA directors saw fit to recognize the new ways authors have embraced the publishing world. Not only were traditional publishers highlighted, entities such as Amazon, Smashwords, and self publishing routes were likewise, explored. Most major publishing houses included their epub houses. Their authors were embraced as legit partners in the publishing world. Even more exciting, was the Indie book signing.

The Indie or Independent book signing was fabulous. The line to support these authors was as long as many of the traditional houses and in some cases better received. If I were to attend next year, I would definitely consider signing.

Attendants also ran a broad spectrum. On a very positive side, men swelled the ranks of writers. They attended classes as faithfully as the ladies, honed their pitches, and enjoyed their conference.

The role of Romance Writers of America is changing and in a good way. The movement of the conference embraced the future. For me the highlight was the award luncheon speaker, Kristan Higgins, who energized the rest of the conference with her inspiring talk. Let's hope this trend of embracing continues. I hope when I return to RWA's conference, I see the larger epub companies in spotlights. So let the call go forth, Romance is booming. Congratulations to RWA.

1 comment:

  1. I was at the RWA conference also. The conference was positive and your post describes it very well!

    ReplyDelete